- All the Answers by Kate Messner
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia
- The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
- Jack by Liesl Shurtliff (Rump was one of my favorites, and I can't wait for this one!)
- Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff
- Mark of the Thief by Jennifer A. Nielsen
- Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper (Need I say more than the author's name?)
- The Way to Stay in Destiny by Augusta Scattergood
- The Whisper by Aaron Starmer
- The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel
- Greenglass House by Kate Milford
- Lulu's Mysterious Mission by Judith Viorst
- The Madman of Piney Woods by Christopher Paul Curtis (I actually just started this one today!)
- The Paper Cowboy by Kristen Levine
- The Quirks: Welcome to Normal by Erin Soderberg
- The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer
- The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner
Older BooksMy last books are some older titles. I only became a librarian three years ago, and before that I taught first grade for years. My reading then consisted mostly of picture books, early-reader chapter books, and adult books. Unfortunately, I missed out on a lot of great children's books during that time. With so many new books coming out each week, it's hard to "catch up"! I have been trying to read some books that were popular (and some still are!) from prior years.
I only recently read the first Harry Potter book. When I began as a new librarian, a friend and mentor suggested to me that I only read the first book in a series, since there were so many books I would need to read. While I think that was good advice at the time, I'd like to move forward with this series.
- Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling
Below are some other books from series that have been popular with several students, and I haven't read any of them! Fortunately, I have learned what type of readers to recommend most of them to, but it's not the same as having read them yourself! I am only including the first book in each set for now.
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- Who Could It Be At This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
- Legend by Marie Lu (This is the only book on the 2015 Rebecca Caudill List that I haven't read, as I didn't buy it for our K-5 library due to its recommended age level for readers. Still yet, I want to have read the entire list before March when the winner is announced!)
That totals 25 books! I am looking forward to all of them!